Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Hank

Default Algae choking WH

It's too late for the WH. Shaking the roots of the water lettuce seems
to dislodge the algae. I really try to avoid adding chemicals to the
pond.
BV, The flow rate is fast enough that I need a screen to keep the
plants from taking a ride down the waterfall.
I just got about 50 tiny tadpoles (or toadpoles) and put them in
the VF. The little buggers seem to be stirring up the roots quite a
bit. Maybe I'll be able to save the lettuce but be over-run with frogs
or toads. With all them wigglers in there it looks like a slide from a
sex-ed class.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1
"Hank" wrote in message
HELP! All my WH have been choked to death by algae collecting on

the
roots. The lettuce is still alive but not looking too good. The only
part of the VF not affected is the watercress. I was washing the

roots
every day(what a pain) but forgot for three days.= rotten WH

straight
to compost.
My water is clear .... some algae on sides ..... lots on
roots?????????
What can I do other than wash the roots every day? This is a new

one
on me.