Old 07-05-2004, 06:05 AM
William J. Wolfe

Default honey warning

len gardener wrote in message . ..
g'day john,

reckon the standard for honey must have slipped under the pure food
labelling rules or something? i have been told there is more than
honey in that brand honey and the other big companies as well.

I can't comment on specific homey brnads but sometimes glucose syrup
is added to homey. Raw honey is filtered and often pasteurised to stop
the aged honey from candying.

for me
pure honey is what comes out of a bee hive yes it can be mixed with
honey from hives that have sourced other flower vaieties hence
different colours and flavours.

I probably have the ideal honey source. I live on 1,000 acres of
mostly open eucalypt forest. I have an old bee keeper friend who has
from 30 to 100 hives down in the gum trees. All I ask from him is a
couple of kilgrammes of raw honey from the hives. Great taste, good
colour and 100% pure honey.

when we used to feed a honey mix to
the lorrikeets we would buy honey from a local bloke with hives, when
we used any of those store bought ones the dishes we fed the birds in
would go black with mould but no such thing with the real stuff.

when i need honey i try to source if right from the blokes with the
hives, sure as heck tastes a whole heap different.

The only way to buy honey.

len

snipped