Old 07-05-2004, 02:03 PM
martin

Default Heron visit to pond

On Fri, 07 May 2004 13:36:49 +0100, Tim Nicholson
wrote:

On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:35:22 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

Mostly, perhaps, but I have seen herons fishing from timber landing stages
into water too deep for them to stand up in.

Having followed this thread for a couple of days, I tried the 'fishing
wire round the edge of the pond' routine yesterday. Today, when
looking out of the bathroom window first thing, I saw the heron
standing on the fountain in the middle of the pond! And yes, the
fountain was working! Admittedly it only throws the water into a
shape about 2'6" high and similar diameter and is more of a sprinkler
really (the fountain, not the heron). I didn't think herons could land
that accurately? (the water round the fountain's about 2' deep, and
I've only ever seen the heron in the margin of the pond before.

Do I need a more powerful pump/fountain?

or 20,000 volts?

There's a coot nesting on top of an active fountain in a canal in
Leiden, the nest is built around the bit that the water comes out of.
In the photo in the local paper, the bird on the nest is half obscured
by the spray falling all around it.