Old 07-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Vox Humana

Default How to get rid of dandelions

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
Hound wrote in :

It has nothing to do with being feeble or having more cents than
sense.

It about wasting valuable time fighting a loosing battle.

If you let someone tell you what you are or are not capable of, you've
already lost.

The lawn company is not stupid, they put down a herbicide for the
dandelions along with a pre emergent to prevent the falling dandelion
seeds from germinating.

The point is: once you lay off the pre-emergent, the dormant seeds (which
were likely not blown in from your neighbor) will germinate and you're

back
to calling the lawn care company.

This is what I have experienced. We moved into a 7 year old house 8 years
ago. The previous owners had no interest in gardening and the entire
landscape was neglected. The lawn had a lot of weeds and crabgrass along
with bare spots. We moved in on March 1st, and I started with a turfbuilder
with a pre-emergent herbicide immediately. I followed this with the usual
post-emergent treatment. Insects and fungus weren't a problem so I skipped
the turfbuilders with insect control. For a few years I overseeded and top
dressed the lawn. Since the lawn has filled in nicely and the weeds and
crabgrass are gone, I stopped the pre-emergent and post-emergent treatments.
A weed will appear now and then, but they are easily controlled with spot
treatments. I don't think that discontinuing the application of herbicides
on a healthy lawn will necessarily result in an infestation of weeds. As
for the lawn care company - I can't imagine using one. I guess I'm just too
thrifty to pay someone for something that I can do with so little effort.