Old 07-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Al

Default Question for Al or Ray !

If the leaves of the plants stay dry while the temps are going down and if
you make sure the air around the leaves is always gently moving then you
have done all you can do to naturally prohibit fungus and bacterial spores
from settling on you plants and doing nasty things to them.

I know you have also sprayed them with Physan recently and I suspect your
cocleanthese bud issue is humidity related anyway, so I would say don't
change anything.

How much difference has the humidifier made in the rh of your apartment?
Hopefully it has helped tip the rh balance scale and this new bud will hang
on. Try to affect an air of indifference around the bud. Pretend you don't
care what happens to it. This will make it crazy to get your attention and
might be enough to make the darn thing flower.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message

"Al" wrote in message
news [snip]
Perhaps the author
is trying to say something like, 'if you have a humidifier on during the

day
turn it off in late afternoon so conditions ripe for fungus/bacterial
problems can not develop when the sun goes down and/or the lights go off

and
cause the air to cool and moisture to settle out of it and onto plant
parts."

Al,
We have a humidifier running on high both day and night in our

apartment --
is this a mistake? I am reluctant to turn the humidifier off at all right
now, since the cochleanthes bud is so much closer to actually producing a
flower this time and it seems to need lots of humidity to do so, however I
wouldn't want to endanger my orchids and make fungus more likely. Should I
adjust what I am doing or not?
Thanks,
Joanna

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
I'm not Al or Ray, but ... ours live with what Mother Nature gives

them.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"PhalGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello AL ! or Ray !

I have read in many books and on the monreal botanical garden that

the
relative humidity for orchids like Phal, Paph, Onc should be at

around
70%
during the day and 40 % at night!

Is this true? Do you do this or do you maintain the same percentage

of
RH
all the time?

Thanks

Claude

PS: AL, I`m very jalous of your greenhouses ! Can I go work for

you!
:-)