Old 07-05-2004, 04:02 PM
K, T, E & N

Default Name that tree

Could it have been some type of Vitex? These grow mostly in moist and
shaded areas in the Southeast, along rivers and streams. There are about 16
types (from what I can find out about them) and range from bush size to tree
size with clusters of fruits (berries?) that sort of resemble pecans.
Sometimes the flowers are white. Smell great. Common name is Lilac Chaste
Tree.

Kim

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message

My wife and I were driving from North Carolina to Georgia recently. As
we passed through the NC mountains, we noticed that the back roads were

lined
by trees that had large light purple/lavender blooms that looked kind of
like wisteria. We were not aware of wisteria *trees* in that part of the
country. We love the dogwoods by the roads where we live, but were
entranced by these trees. Could anybody from that part of the country
tell us what is blooming up there?

billo