Old 07-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Bruce McAdam

Default bokashi - A Japanese composting method. (in May RHS mag)

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message ...
Has anyone come across Bokashi which is suposedly very good for food waste
and limits smells. And its suposed to be quick.

I did find a site about it http://www.livingsoil.co.uk/ but then real
peoples experiences tend to be more useful I find.

I was given one of these as a present last year.

Filled it up with kitchen waste and Bokashi starter last summer but
nothing much happened. The bucket is quite big and it took several
months for two of us to fill it with waste. A bit of liquid gathered
in the bottom bucket (I diluted this and fed it to fruit) and some
white mould grew on the kitchen waste.

It was kept indoors in the kitchen, but it wasn't very warm.

Left it sealed up over winter. No smell leaked from the buckets.

Opened it up a few weeks ago when I was planting courgettes. There
was a lot of liquid in the bottom bucket, and the contents of the top
bucket were like vomit in smell, appearance and texture (identifiable
lumps of food that turned to mush when I spooned them out). I held my
nose and dug it into the soil underneath the seeds. It was nothing
like normal compost.

I might re-read instructions and try again this year. If I do, I will
make sure I drain the liquid away regularly and chop up the waste
before adding it.

Anyone got any tips?

Bruce