Old 07-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Terry B

Default Blossom on fruit trees

Thank you very much for your reply it was most helpful. Kind regards, Terry.

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"Terry B" wrote in message
I was told that for every blossom that grows on an apple tree a fruit

will
grow.
Can anyone tell me if this is true or not ?
If so does this apply to all fruit trees that blossom pear, plum etc.

?

While in theory each flower on a fruit tree is a potential fruit, in
practice this doesn't happen.

This could be for any of a variety of reasons, including sterility,
malformed flowers, frost damage, non-pollination etc.

Even then, once the fruit has formed, a number are often aborted by the
tree ('June drop') or removed by the grower to give fewer, better
fruits.

One commercial grower told me he reckons the optimum quantity of fruit
on his apple trees which are allowed to develop to maturity is 9%.

Neil