Old 07-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default OT - hiding email details on newsgroups

In message , martin
writes
A more common approach is for the ISP to tag mail it has identified as
SPAM and pass all mail to user. The user decides what to do with it.
Franz and I use different ISPs that both operate this way. I think
Franz bins his without looking, after deciding that after several
months of checking, that his ISP was fool proof, I filter mine into
the trash folder and take a quick look before deleting. This seems to
be a reasonable way for an ISP to detect and handle spam.

One of my ISP's (Freeserve) has started doing that, I keep meaning to
see if I can turn it off, as my own spam filter (K9) is much more
effective (and in fact nearly all the email through that account is spam
or virus related crap anyway due to my email arrangements.)
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: