Old 07-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Controlling moss

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bob" writes:

| Is it really a sign of acid soil? I've been puzzling about my

soil for a
| while now - the surrounding gardens have lovely magnolias

(acid?), and my
| acers and rhododendrons seem to do fine (acid) but my hydrangeas

always come
| out pink (alkaline) - even the ones that were blue when I bought

them. The
| soil testing kit said slightly alkaline, but I have huge areas of

moss
| spreading across the lawn, and the paths always get a thick

spongy coat in
| the winter...

Some mosses are, but the real reason is that alkaline soils in the
UK tend to be well-drained. As far as I know, there are mosses
that will grow vigorously on any soil in the UK (including 'soils'
so poor that they count as hardcore), subject only to sufficient
damp.

My dry stone walls and my macadamised drive are not all that damp.
{:-))

Franz