Old 07-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Martin Brown

Default bokashi - A Japanese composting method. (in May RHS mag)

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:
On Thu, 6 May 2004 10:41:03 +0100, Amber Ormerod wrote:

Has anyone come across Bokashi which is suposedly very good for food waste
and limits smells. And its suposed to be quick.

I did find a site about it http://www.livingsoil.co.uk/ but then real
peoples experiences tend to be more useful I find.

A caution: it's all very well to think "ooooh, a Japanese
non-smelly composting method", but don't forget that climate
plays a role -- and the hot, wet, near-tropical Japanese summer
is a far cry from cloudy England. To say nothing of the question,
what kind of food wastes are being composted?

In Japan kitchen waste will be mostly rice. Virtually no fat and a tiny
amount of meat. Nothing at all like a UK diet.

Some people object to the food that I am cooking for myself on the
grounds that it is too smelly! Bombay duck - lovely, let's have
a panful - and I had some wonderful small squid in Spain that had
been sun-dried (fermenting the while) and were then deep-fried :-)

If you like those have you tried "Nattou"? Japanese fermented soya
beans. Think of baked beans in Evo-stick smelling like your dustbin - it
tastes better than it smells but most people don't get that far.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown