Old 07-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Sacha

Default Plant id please

Charlie Pridham7/5/04 10:17

Anyone know this
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/what.htm

It's one we have, too. Ray says it's Centradenia hybrida (Melastomataceae)
It needs a well drained compost containing clay with a pH of.5-6. It's
salt sensitive and needs to be grown in bright, well ventilated houses with
a constant temp of around 16C. it will be temperamental if temperatures are
too high or too low. We have one particular plant which is 3' tall and now
has a rather woody stem. It doesn't exactly trail but sort of arches,
really ad Ray says it becomes more upright as the plant gets older.
If you get the pH just right the foliage is particularly coppery.
Ray thinks their flowering is affected more by light hours than by
temperature (in the mature plants) which, given their Madeiran provenance,
would make sense.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk