Old 08-05-2004, 03:04 AM
John Savage

Default Humanure!?!

"Gello" writes:
Yes, I have heard of the use of "night soil" not only in Asia but, also,
before the widespread use of chemical fertilizers in the US and Europe. Do
you have any sources, that you can recall, that refer to it?

I knew a woman who migrated from England. She said that she grew up near
a golf course there which fertilised the grass with human waste. She
related how every spring local gardeners with hand trowels would descend
on the greens to help themselves to the abundant tomato seedlings that
sprang up everywhere!