Old 08-05-2004, 03:05 AM
John Savage

Default a question about soil

(LG1111) writes:
As much as I'd like to agree, my seeds really don't germinate. I mean I can
plant 500 beans and not get even 1 seedling. We have deer and rabbits, but I
get NOTHING. To me, this suggests that my problem is chemical.

Statistically, I'd say the most likely cause is inadequate or inconsistent
watering. Germinating seeds are very unforgiving. If they dry out for even
a minute that can be the end of some. Seeds that take a long time to emerge
may rot if they are sitting in heavy waterlogged soil from overwatering.

Unless you are tilling a former chemical waste dump :-) I'd doubt that the
cause would be the soil chemistry. Chemistry might affect growth, but most
seeds germinate when supplied with moisture and warmth regardless of soil
fertility. Bean seeds would have to be the easiest and most rewarding to
sprout! Practically fail safe! It is possible to plant some seeds too
deeply, but probably not so with bean seeds, within reason. Some seeds do
have a short use-by date.