Old 08-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Kay Easton

Default bokashi - A Japanese composting method. (in May RHS mag)

In article , Martin Brown
writes
In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes

This is the problem. I don't have the physical strength to turn compost.

You don't need to.

Though it does help get a more even composting action. The top surface
left for a week otherwise ends up too dry and doesn't rot.

Oh yes, I'm not denying that it helps. But you can compost without, as
I do, and apart from the thatch on top you get good compost - I'd hate
people to feel depressed about their composting prospects if for any
reason they can't turn it regularly.

I think the issue it really when you add small amounts of grass at a
time - then it goes anaerobic, smelly, all horrible and slimy..

That's a good point. You mean in small amounts there isn't enough bulk
to generate the really high temperatures, so you get layers of slime if
the grass is too thick, but in huge quantities enough heat is generated
to break it down nicely? That would explain why some urglers report as
you do that they have no problem with grass clippings whereas I and some
others find ourselves with inch thick compressed grass slime.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: