Old 08-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Kay Easton

Default Blossom on fruit trees

In article , Terry B
writes
I was told that for every blossom that grows on an apple tree a fruit will
grow.
Can anyone tell me if this is true or not ?
If so does this apply to all fruit trees that blossom pear, plum etc. ?

Every blossom has the potential to grow a fruit - this is a pretty
general rule - exceptions would be if you have separate male and female
blossoms, and I can't think of one off hand.

Whether it does depends firstly on whether the flower is pollinated (and
apples aren't good at pollinating themselves - they need another apple
tree of a different type which is in flower at the same time in order to
get good pollination - and of course they need the pollinating insects
around to take the pollen from one flower to the other - and secondly on
whether the apple tree has enough water during the growing season.
You'll notice the 'June drop' when many of the tiny applets are shed,
until the tree feels it's left with only as many as it can cope with.

I'm not sure whether a 100 per cent fruit set is possible in optimum
conditions - I suspect not.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: