Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Sue da Nimm

Default What to do with building waste

"Padz" wrote in message
I've moved house & want to start on the garden but am not what you'd
call an experienced gardener. Help!! Garden is about 15' wide by about
100' long and near the house there is a lot of biulding waste - bricks
etc, littlle bit of cement here and there. Not being too wealthy I'm
kind of resigned to clearing it myself but would like to know about
top soil. Soil seems quite clay (SE london), if I got rid of the worst
should I get someone to come in & add a load of nice topsoil or what
are the options. Tempting to push the overdraft a bit more & get
someone to do the lot, there's access at the back to get a mini digger
& skip in but no idea of costs. All advice welcome.

Do It Yourself and dream of the feeling of achievement when it's done. The
pleasure you'll get every single day when you look out on a garden you've
made yourself is priceless.

If you buy top-soil. get screened horticultural soil - you can probably
specify added compost from a good supplier. If you can get hold of a trailer
there is often free topsoil advertised in local papers - although you may
well have to dig it out yourself and the quality may be indifferent.

Five uses for rubble:
1. Create different levels in the garden to add structure.
2. If you want to grow plants that need good drainage, make raised beds with
a layer of rubble topped by mixed grit & soil (or even
topsoil/compost/manure
3. Build a rockery by building a heap of rubble, dress with a few decorative
rocks, add grit and soil and lots of spreading alpines.
4. Make a patio using the rubble topped by sharp sand underneath the slabs.
5. Use to make a concrete slab and install a
summerhouse/shed/greenhouse/den.