Old 08-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Sacha

Default Plant id please

David Hill7/5/04 11:59

Isn't that typical, I remember the name and come on to post it and Sacha has
got there first.

Only my typing fingers. It's Ray's memory and knowledge, not mine. ;-)

Strange thing is that the books say Centradenia needs a min of 13C but I
have had a couple growing quite happily in a cold glasshouse.
I find that it is one of those plants that develop a better leaf colour as
the temp. reduces in the Autumn, and whilst its chief flowering period seems
to be August onwards, I seem to have the odd flower on mine all year round.
I am just wondering if the old variety is tougher than the newer hybrid.
Just checking with my old "Bible", and it says a min winter temp of 50f, and
it lists 3 varieties of Centradenia, C.Grandiflolia,
C.Floribunda and C.inaequilateralis.
Also says flowers last well when cut.

Ray brought a sprig in last night to show me and it looks very happy in a
vase and very pretty, too. We're going to try it outside and see how it
survives. As you know, our houses here are only kept at frost free anyway,
so it hasn't exactly been coddled.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk