Old 08-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Lazarus Cooke

Default Mushrooms in my lawn.....

no? shirley the fact that some Irish ignoramus Seamus has confused a
dolphin for a fungus is irrelevant?

For the pedants: Isn't it a bit early for Agaricus campestris and
Agaricus arvensis?

Hmm. This particular Irish ignoramus Seamus thinks that it is indeed a
bit early for Agaricus campestris and Agaricus arvensis, and that it's
quite likely to be agaricus xanthodermus (yellow stainer), which
regularly appears in my garden at this time of year. It looks very
similar to arvensis, which can also stain yellow, but they have a
different spore print. arvensis spores are puple-brown, ellipsoid,
7-8x4.5-5m, while xanthodermus are purple-brown, ellipsoid, 5-6x3-5m.

Incidentally. xanthodermus is poisonous, but only some people are
affected. But it's a good idea to be damn sure that you know exactly
what it is you're eating. If you don't know how to differentiate
between these, and don't know what I've been talking about, you
shouldn't be eating them.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address