Old 08-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Sacha

Default Fungicide for botrytis on grape vine

David Rance8/5/04 12:31

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Sacha wrote:

"Spray the vines with the above mixture (Bordeaux Mixture, Dithane and
Maxicrop) every two weeks until flowering when all spraying must cease."
- Growing Grapes in Britain by Gillian Pearkes.

Totally irrelevant to the subject but she was the sister of our Rector!

I knew she lived down in the West Country but I wasn't exactly sure
where. When I first started growing vines (back in the 1970s) her book
was just about the only one in English on vine growing. She was among
the pioneers of the new wave of viticulturists and did valuable
experimental work. Most of her work is still relevant though the types
of vine she recommends are a bit out of date simply because new
varieties are now available.

Edward Hyams, who brought vines back into English life (for wine growing)
lived in this house as its first lay owner. Unhappily, his efforts here seem
to have ended in disaster. Maybe because this mild climate affects vines as
it does roses? That said, Sharpham on the River Dart is doing well with
wine production.

In the Lots we saw vineyards growing rose bushes at the end of each row of
vines as they give the earliest hint of problems. But there, everything was
covered in a bright blue mixture of some sort ?colldodial copper? This
would have been around July or August, IIRC.

Many French vineyards have roses growing at the end of each row for the
very reason you mention. I've seen it down in Burgundy. The bright blue
mixture was undoubtedly some form of Bordeaux mixture.

Sounds right.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)