Old 09-05-2004, 02:03 AM
John Savage

Default Councils and allotments

"shazzbat" writes:
You should post this in uk.rec.gardening. USAsians don't have
allotments, more's the pity.

You have "community gardens" though, don't you? so educate me if you will,
how are they organised, who owns/allocates them? are they a municipal
function or a private matter?

AFAIK we have no community gardens here in Sydney, but I do know that
they have community gardens in Melbourne because they have featured on
some interesting tv docos. There has never been any mention of cost to
the user, so I assume they are cost-free. Some are on land owned by the
city council, some on a public housing block for use by residents in that
housing block of hundreds of apartments. I reckon google would turn up a
lot of information, otherwise try asking on soc.culture.australian,
aus.general, or aus.gardens if you can subscribe to it.