Old 09-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Janet Baraclough..

Default What to do with building waste

The message
from "Sue da Nimm" . contains these words:

Five uses for rubble:
1. Create different levels in the garden to add structure.
2. If you want to grow plants that need good drainage, make raised beds with
a layer of rubble topped by mixed grit & soil (or even
topsoil/compost/manure
3. Build a rockery by building a heap of rubble, dress with a few decorative
rocks, add grit and soil and lots of spreading alpines.
4. Make a patio using the rubble topped by sharp sand underneath the slabs.
5. Use to make a concrete slab and install a
summerhouse/shed/greenhouse/den.

True, and if you don't need it, someone else will.
We produced a small mountain of brick rubble the other week when we
knocked down a kitchen wall. I put a "free rubble" ad in the local paper
(cost me nothing) and got three replies from people who were happy to
collect it.

Janet.