Old 09-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Martin Brown

Default Blossom on fruit trees

In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Neil Jones neil@the-
joneses.org.uk writes

I should add that I have assumed that fruit trees have hermaphrodite
flowers with both male and female parts. All the fruit tree in my garden
fit in to this category.

Apples aren't all fertile with each others pollen though.

If a plant is monoecious (seperate male and female flowers on the same
plant) or dioecious (seperate male and female plants) then only the
female flowers are potential fruits.

Can anyone think of examples? All I could come up with was hazelnut ;-)

I am sure you know lots more. These are a few fun ones to start off the
game:

Ginkgo, Ginko biloba - females are not normally grown as ornamentals.
The fruits are extremely smelly and its pulp can cause skin
sensitisation. The nut inside is a delicacy in Japan and the extract
sold in various herbal medicines.

Hemp, Cannabis savita - not normally grown as an ornamental ;-)

Holly, Ilex sp. - cultivars are randomly named cross dressers so that if
you want berries you have to read the small print on labels *very*
carefully.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown