Old 09-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Rod Out back

Default White tail spider bite ulceration and necrotic lesions

"Andrew G" wrote in message

"Paul Valente" wrote in message
Hello to all

I would like to talk about insect bites which cause ulcerations and

necrotic
lesions not just white tailed spiders.
There have been reports of white tail spider bites causing ulceration

and
necrotic lesions. While studies have determined that the white tail

spider
does not cause this effect a lot of people still believe it to be true.

don't know but I do know of instances where a bite has caused ulceration

and
necrotic lesions to occur.

Snip

I read about the white tail spider not causing ulcerations and such a

little
while back in the paper.
What gets me is how do they come at that conclusion? I mean all these

people
were bitten by a white tip, then the ulceration occurred. No science

there,
just based on common sense that shows that white tips CAN cause

ulceration.
Unless there is a spider that looks almost identical and the people
incorrectly identified them as white tips. People will have different
reactions, some won't be affected at all.
I know of one case personally that was similar to the one where you
mentioned, where it ulcerated to about the size of a 20cent piece. I'm not
sure what they used, if anything, but it went away.
Anyway, interesting post.

Regards and happy gardening
Paul

I also read the story about White-Tailed spiders not being responsible for
the necrosis that occurs on some people. The reports said that they couldnt
find ANY necrotic agent in the WT venom. What they did acknowledge, though,
was that certain people seem to be pre-disposed to a reaction for certain
types of spider venom.
It begs the question that if you were able to,. to get a WT to bite a number
of people, and see how many get the necrotic reaction. Not likely to get
many applicant for the test, though...

I have a cousin who had a golf-ball sized chunk of thigh removed late last
year. She is adamant that the only spider they found was a WT when she was
bitten.

Never had a spider bite, but interesting to think about aloe-vera. Got a
heap of it growing in the garden, so may be worth trying if it happens.
Works very well for burns.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back