Old 09-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Peter

Default Butterfly Bush - Alive?

On Mon, 03 May 2004 21:23:52 -0400, styxx374 wrote:

I live in Pennsylvania, zone 6. I bought a purple butterfly bush last May.
We cut it back in the fall, so right now it stands about 3-4 feet. It is
planted about 10-15 feet from our house on the east side in a 6"raised bed.
As of today, May 2, it still has not shown any buds. It is my understanding
that butterfly bushes are late in "waking up," but I am concerned that it
didn't make it through our cold winter.

Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions?

Jennifer

I cut my buddleia about 6" above the base. New leaves start forming at
the base.

Sometimes the plant does not winter over. I read one reference where clay
soil is a problem because it is too compact and the winter freeze can kill
a plant.

The suggested solution is to amend clay soil so the plant's roots have
some breathing space. A winter mulch of leaves or straw helps, too.

Last season I planted 2 dozen plants in a zone 4/5 garden of clayey soil.
I lost 1 plant.