Old 09-05-2004, 01:07 PM
gary davis

Default Chemicals?? Was ants everywhere

On 5/5/04 12:31 PM, in article , "Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"gary davis" wrote in message
On 5/4/04 2:55 PM, in article ,

"Franz
Heymann" wrote:

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message

"flower faerie" wrote in message
Hello

I have lots of ant hills appearing all over my lawn. I prefer

not
mow the lawn too short but want to try and get the ants to live
somewhere else like in the flower borders. Also I dont want to
put down
ant powder.

any ideas?

ff

We have found that Talcum Powder does the trick. It's not totally
chemical
free but I guess it's much less damaging than other powders
suggested here!

Talcum powder, like any solid, liquid or gas is a chemical. What

on
earth is all this paranoia about "chemicals"?
As far as I know, talcum is just finely divided Mg3 (OH)2 Si4 O10.

The other powders which have been suggested here were Vim and

Ajax. I
may be wrong, but I think both of them are just powdered chalk.

Franz

Hi Franz
I think the resistance to 'chemicals' is the side affects of

using
certain chemicals. Chemicals that kill aphids, for example, also

kill the
predatory insects such as lady bugs and the worms in the ground. It

is this
kind of 'chemical' that we do not want to use because of those

harmful side
affects.
I don't think that talcum powder falls into the 'bad chemical'
category. Talcum, then, is not the kind of chemical that we are

trying to
avoid.

Hello Gary,
I realise what is behind the paranoia.

Paranoia is a word that does not relate to what I am thinking. I don't think
that what I and many others are talking about is paranoia. We are concerned
about the use of 'stuff' that kills indiscriminately. It kills the good and
the bad bug...from the human point of view. There is no bad bug to a bird or
to the predator insects we fortunately have.

What I don't like is the way folk are overreacting to the use of chemicals

in the garden.

You don't like the way folks are overreacting to the use of chemicals in the
garden? Why? Do you generate an income from the sale of those chemicals? And
who says we are over reacting? I am not over reacting...I just believe the
use of those chemicals has a vast impact to the life span of important
insects, worms (that work 24-7) and the ground water that we all drink.
Overreacting? I don't think so.

I grant you that there are chemicals whose overall benefit is dubious,

A chemical, any chemical, has an over all dubious benefit. Every chemical
that enters into the lives of insects has a questionable benefit. Usually
none! And worse...

but it is quite unnecessary

Wrong, it is very necessary to make people, all of them, aware of this
problem. Some will understand and some will need more information. It is
necessary!

to lump everything except manure and compost together as "chemicals" and

therefore to be avoided.

Manure and compost can be as bad as any chemical. It depends upon just what
is put in the compost bin. There have been tests done and what was found in
countries that spread human waste on their fields is that the worms change
the human waste into harmless organic material. Material that plants can
utilize and grow. What happens in our compost bins is a different
matter...we must eliminate anything that could kill the worms. The worms do
so much...even while we sleep.

By the way, if you used "organic" means other than the highly
ineffectual ladybirds to control aphids, you are also killing off
your ladybirds. They will simply die of hunger if there are no
insects around for them.

I read what you wrote here several times and it really is jubberish. Are you
sure you are not a politician...they talk like that. I will simple reply to
your last statement which was "They will simply die of hunger if there are
no insects around for them."

If there are no insects (aphids) around, the gardener does not have a
problem now does he/she? So long as we don't use any chemicals that kill the
predator...we will be ok in the long run. We are talking about the long run,
aren't we?

I actually have my doubts about the efficacy of ladybirds for
controlling aphids.

The quantity of ladybirds is always less than the quantity of aphids.
There are always a smaller quantity of predators than there are of plant
eating pests. Think foxes versus rabbits.

I have noticed that the years in which I have
large populations of ladybirds coincide with years in which I have
serious infestations of aphids.

Which came first? The ladybirds or the aphids? It has to be the
aphids...they multiplied and that attracted the ladybirds. There will always
be more food than predator. When the food is gone so will the predator.
Where does the predator go? Ask the birds...a gourmet meal they will tell
you.
I asked the birds "Well, a gourmet meal, what did it cost?" Cheap, is
always their response. I don't really understand how they can say that. How
can a gourmet meal be cheep? I guess only a bird will know the answer to
that.

Clearly the ladybirds are having a
whale of a time. But unfortunately those are also the years in which
there is most aphid damage in my garden, so when all is said and done,
the ladybirds were fighting a losing battle.

No, the ladybirds were doing just fine. Let them alone. It goes in cycles.
You have to give a little to get a little. The next year you will have so
many ladybirds that they will eat every aphid anywhere around. Even in your
neighbour's yard.

Have you ever stopped to
think how many ladybirds you would need in one garden to consume a
horde of a few million aphids before they breed?

It goes in cycles. You have to give a little to get a little. The next
year you will have so many ladybirds that they will eat every aphid anywhere
around. Even in your neighbour's yard. Am I repeating myself?

Remember the key-you have to give a little to get a little. Give a
little and get a little...now where I come from getting a little is a good
thing.
Happy gardening

Franz

Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

To email direct...Please remove yoursocks...