Old 09-05-2004, 05:05 PM
rschmitt23

Default [IBC] Turface

There are several types of Turface. IMHO, Turface MVP is the best choice for
bonsai since it has a larger average particle size than the other Turfaces.
You will need to sieve in order to get rid of the really small fines. I use
8-mesh and 12-mesh metal screens. Save the small fines. They come in handy
for adjusting the water retention levels of your soil. And Turface is
relatively inexpensive at $9 per 50# bag.

Oil Dri is pretty cheap at $4.50 per 50# bag at Pep Boys and other auto
supply shops. It seems to have somewhat higher moisture retention than
Turface. My habit is to use a 50/50 mix of Turface and Oil-Dri as the
inorganic part of my bonsai soil. The cheaper Oil-Dri functions as an
extender for the more expensive Turface MVP.

Later

--
Ray Schmitt, Aliso Viejo, CA
Cold Hardiness Zone 10b

"Tlsrider" wrote in message
The question I have is for a substitute for using turface. I can get this

product, but only through a Bonsai Nursery here locally, the mark up is
high. I would be paying about $25 per bag. Anyway, what I am wondering is,
can you use "oil dry" that you buy at the auto store instead? Are there any
disadvantages to using this?

Rick
Zone 5
New England