Old 09-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Kay Easton

Default What to do with building waste

In article , Padz
writes
On Sat, 8 May 2004 12:18:20 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

Paddy

London SE was/is part of Kent. The soil is exceptionally fertile though
can vary.

Made a start digging yesterday. What a gooey mess but I suppose it has
been raining for several days. Not as many bricks and bits as I
suspected but a bit soul distroying trying to work with what seems to
be more related to blutack than soil. Good news is that further up the
slope things change for the better. Someone please tell me that things
will be easier when it dries a little. So what do I do with the muddy
bit - dig in gravel or something like that?

What i would do is heap compost (the home made sort, not the special
bagged up stuff for plant pots) about 6 inches deep and plant into
that. And top up with another 6 inches each year. Over the years the
worms will gradually mix it into the clay below.

That's why I advised you to start a compost heap ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: