Old 09-05-2004, 06:07 PM
flowergirl

Default Pyrus salicifolia pendula

Hi

I've been lurking here a while and have finally plucked up courage to
post!

I have just planted a Pyrus salicifolia pendula. It has been pruned
into a nice weeping shape but is only 1.5m tall. The lady at the
garden centre said not to let it grow any taller as once it starts
sending branches upwards it will loose its nice weeping shape - there
were a few specimens like this at the GC, long arms sticking out at
funny angles... I've planted the tree to screen off an area of the
garden and ideally want it to reach at least 3m in height. What would
your advice be? Can I train an upward looking branchlet to become a
new leader or will it eventually grow taller without this extra help?

Thanks

flowergirl