Old 09-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Monroe

Default Edmonton area raspberry problem

Gardening outside of Edmonton, Alberta. Moved into this rural
location about 7 years back. Two very healthy red, everbearing
raspberry patches. As the years went by, with the majority of the
years severe droughts, the berry plants continually reduced in numbers
despite watering (mildy sodic water . . . soft, neutral pH . . . Na at
about 300 - 400 ppm), fertilizing (Rapid-Gro), careful management of
canes and mulching with leaves/grasses. With the drought, heavy quack
grass infestation within path (and across entire acreage, for that
matter). But I'm not certain which of these may be contributing or
directly responsibly for the reduction in plant numbers. This spring,
very low cane count (about 20% of original number of plants). I'd
guess that the patches are just about as old as the acreage (20
years). When we moved in in 1997, incredibly dense and healthy
pathches.

Any other gardeners local to this area with any ideas? Thinking about
a grand strategy to rejuvenate the patches. I've read a few quite
different methods, from complete cut down and wait to abandonment of
the patch areas and setting in new plants at another locaiton. I'd
like to use the same areas. Any input would be appreciated. We are
tapped out at this end. The increasing reduction despite tender care
was hard to take.
--

Monroe