Old 09-05-2004, 09:02 PM
jammer

Default all my Kois died. Why?

Dont run hose water in the pond with dechlorinating it!

Get rid of all but 1-2 koi

I am very sorry for your loss.

On Sun, 9 May 2004 00:21:19 +0200, "CC" wrote:

Thank you for your answer. I am in Sacramento CA, not CAnada, sorry

(but my
wife is from Vancouver BC). I too have too many plants, mostly water

lilies,
but thank you for the offer. If I lived there I would have enjoyed

meeting
you.
I was not aware that I had too many Koi. 25+ (the ones that died) did

seem
too many to me, but they were very happy even in the murky water.

Also, they
all died overnight (some died after discovering the disaster, I

agonized
alongside with them), and they died of whatever went on in the pond

due to
the hose left in and the filter not functioning.

Now I have 12 + a goldfish, the lone survivor, but they are small,

very
small with only 2 approaching the size of the previous fish.
Also I am used to the metric system and volume calculations have

never been
my forte. The pond is L shaped, 12ftx3ft and 3ft deep more or less.

the
conversion from ft to gal. escapes me completely, so my pond could be
larger, or smaller for that matter, somebody eyeballed it for me but

I do
not trust their judgment much more than I trust mine.

I realize that aquariums stores give terrible advice, which is why I

came
here. I have been reading all the past posts and they have been very
helpful.

As why they died, my wife insists that they must have suffocated due

to the
water hose stirring up the silt off the bottom and severely clouding

the
water. It could have been, they all died as if trying to escape the

pond.

I'll keep on reading, and I thank you for your response.

CC

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
. ..
The responses below answers your questions. For the size of your

pond you
do have too many Koi.

From the rule of thumb bounced around here, assuming 1200 gallons

you
should
have 3 Koi. Unless you really watch all your parameters like a

hawk!

Where in California are you. I am in Rancho Cucamonga (By Ontario

Airport
in case you need a hand and free plants! I have way too many

plants, and
don't have the heart to throw them away)

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"CC" wrote in message
Hi, a couple of months ago I moved in a new house with a pond.

I was thrilled, but I soon discovered that the pond was left

abandoned
for
months. I knew nothing of ponds, but quickly I grew attached and

fascinated
by my Kois. I spent many days by the pond feeding the kois and

enjoying
them.

One day, we were trying to get the dead leaves out, and toward

the end
of
the day a garden hose fell in the pond. I did not noticed.

The day after, I found 28 dead kois (7" to 12") splashed around

the
overfilled pond and one lone small goldfish alive inside.

The hose was spraying full force and the pond was crystal clear.

I was devastated! I cried like a baby. These kois had become my

best
friends
and my morning ritual. To this day I can't go by the pond without

feeling
knot in my stomach.

Being new at ponds and not knowing any better, we (my wife and I)

went
out
and bought 12 baby kois (we had the water tested beforehand) and

repopulated
the pond.

I have 2 questions: 1) What did the kois died of? One thing I

feel I
must
add is that the filter was clogged when I found them)

2) my wife is obsessed with the pond being clear, I would rather

have
the
pond dirty and happy, live Kois. She is going ahead with emptying

the
pond
and clean the muck from the bottom. We have a Pump wet-dry vac

and all
the
chemicals plus the testing strips. How would you do it? The pond

is
900/1200
gallons, 3-4 ft deep and L shaped. We have now 3 bio-filtered

pumps.

I am telling my wife to leave it alone and let the chemicals and

pumps
do
their work, but she won't listen and has acquired enough opinions

from
pond
shops to uphold her way of doing things.

I, don't want to lose one single Koi, or I'll be heartbroken

again.

Ideas?

Thank you very much

Pond in California