Old 09-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] calling the Plant Pathologist

This morning I realized my new gardener had dug out
the stump. The fungus is under the bark ahd has white
threads (I have a photo) It is as if the bark is
melting, becoming mushy. About half the roots are
affected. If I cut off most of the muckie parts,
treat with copper or lime sulfer, do you think it's
worth the work. The fungus does in a lot of the
nebari I was trying to save.

Are any of the threads shiny and black and flat, like shoelaces? If so,
you will recognise the fungus as Armillaria mellea, the "honey mushroom",
which will attack weak trees and kill them.

If the threads are white, as you describe them, it could be any of a
number of basidiomycetes. Many of them will not attack a healthy tree,
but some will. Cutting off the "yucky" parts, and treating with copper
(or sulfur) is pretty much all you can do, besides keeping the tree
well-watered and well-fertilized.

Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++