Old 10-05-2004, 02:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default all my Kois died. Why?

One other note: I seem to remember that Goldfish, or Carps in general,
grow in relation to their habitat. Is this a myth?

Yes, that one is a myth, little food, high nitrAtes (poor water quality)
will stunt a fish of the carp variety.

If it is not, than
how do you know what fish will grow large and what will not? It seems
to me that measuring Gallons=Fish# is not accurate

It's not really, just a safe rule of thumb, especially for the novice. In
actuality it's the size of your filter that determines number.
Unfortunately, if your filter dies, power goes out, etc., those who have
more fish/gallon lose. Not to mention, smaller pond, more stress on the
fish when they get bigger due to crowding.

CC, you seem to be on the right track now. Regarding the chlorine it could
have gased off or detoxed on the pond bottom debris by the time you tested
it, doesn't mean it wasn't high coming out of the hose. Most municipalities
are suppose to have chlorine levels out of the tap at 2ppm, this is plenty
enough to fried fish gills.

Do you have the required tests kits, ammonia, nitrite, pH & KH? A pond
thermometer to know the water temp? These are must have's in my book.
You'll have to watch your water quality as chlorine also kills the
bio-filter, and a bio-filter takes 4-6 weeks to get up to snuff. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a