Old 10-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default all my Kois died. Why?

How are you making the link between Rancho Cucamonga and Canada? Did I goof
and tell a lie somewhere?

If my Ontario Airport confused the issue, then my apologies. The Ontario
Airport I referenced is in California, east of Los Angeles.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
When did Rancho Cucamonga move to Canada?? I sure am going to miss all
you folks over there! Maybe we can repopulate all the vineyards in the
vacated area?!?

Just Me "Koi" wrote:

When you stir up the murk at the bottom of an old pond, you release some
deadly gas that is deadly enough to kill your fish!

Then as they are struggling from the gas, you throw in un-conditioned tap
water with chloramines and no fish that I know of will survive that 1-2
knockout punch.

Of course I say this as if I know it to be so for sure! Far from it,

since
I've never been a Koi before, I can only repeat what I've been told in

the
past!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"CC" wrote in message

Thank you for your answer. I am in Sacramento CA, not CAnada, sorry (but

my

wife is from Vancouver BC). I too have too many plants, mostly water

lilies,

but thank you for the offer. If I lived there I would have enjoyed

meeting
you.
I was not aware that I had too many Koi. 25+ (the ones that died) did

seem
too many to me, but they were very happy even in the murky water. Also,

they

all died overnight (some died after discovering the disaster, I agonized
alongside with them), and they died of whatever went on in the pond due

the hose left in and the filter not functioning.

Now I have 12 + a goldfish, the lone survivor, but they are small, very
small with only 2 approaching the size of the previous fish.
Also I am used to the metric system and volume calculations have never

been

my forte. The pond is L shaped, 12ftx3ft and 3ft deep more or less. the
conversion from ft to gal. escapes me completely, so my pond could be
larger, or smaller for that matter, somebody eyeballed it for me but I

do
not trust their judgment much more than I trust mine.

I realize that aquariums stores give terrible advice, which is why I

came
here. I have been reading all the past posts and they have been very
helpful.

As why they died, my wife insists that they must have suffocated due to

the

water hose stirring up the silt off the bottom and severely clouding the
water. It could have been, they all died as if trying to escape the

pond.

I'll keep on reading, and I thank you for your response.

CC

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
.. .

The responses below answers your questions. For the size of your pond

you

do have too many Koi.

From the rule of thumb bounced around here, assuming 1200 gallons you

should

have 3 Koi. Unless you really watch all your parameters like a hawk!

Where in California are you. I am in Rancho Cucamonga (By Ontario

Airport

in case you need a hand and free plants! I have way too many plants,

and

don't have the heart to throw them away)

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"CC" wrote in message

Hi, a couple of months ago I moved in a new house with a pond.

I was thrilled, but I soon discovered that the pond was left abandoned

for

months. I knew nothing of ponds, but quickly I grew attached and

fascinated

by my Kois. I spent many days by the pond feeding the kois and

enjoying

them.

One day, we were trying to get the dead leaves out, and toward the end

of

the day a garden hose fell in the pond. I did not noticed.

The day after, I found 28 dead kois (7" to 12") splashed around the
overfilled pond and one lone small goldfish alive inside.

The hose was spraying full force and the pond was crystal clear.

I was devastated! I cried like a baby. These kois had become my best

friends

and my morning ritual. To this day I can't go by the pond without

feeling

knot in my stomach.

Being new at ponds and not knowing any better, we (my wife and I) went

out

and bought 12 baby kois (we had the water tested beforehand) and

repopulated

the pond.

I have 2 questions: 1) What did the kois died of? One thing I feel I

must

add is that the filter was clogged when I found them)

2) my wife is obsessed with the pond being clear, I would rather have

the

pond dirty and happy, live Kois. She is going ahead with emptying the

pond

and clean the muck from the bottom. We have a Pump wet-dry vac and all

the

chemicals plus the testing strips. How would you do it? The pond is

900/1200

gallons, 3-4 ft deep and L shaped. We have now 3 bio-filtered pumps.

I am telling my wife to leave it alone and let the chemicals and pumps

do

their work, but she won't listen and has acquired enough opinions from

pond

shops to uphold her way of doing things.

I, don't want to lose one single Koi, or I'll be heartbroken again.

Ideas?

Thank you very much

Pond in California