Old 10-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default de-acidify some soil?

"David Ross" wrote in message
barbie gee wrote:

I picked up a large bag of "garden soil" and only now see that it's
"acidy", for use around shrubs and the like.

If I want to use it as a potting soil, how can I de-acidify it?

If you are potting flowering plants, DO NOTHING! Most flowering
plants prefer an acidic soil. Exceptions include dianthus,
primula, and cactus.

Thank you, David. After scrolling down the responses, I was afraid all were
going to overlook this most basic of all points, that most flowering plants
(and a good many broadleaf evergreens) prefer, or at the very least will
tolerate, acidic soils. I'd also have to question exactly what type of
"garden soil " the OP is using - potting soils generally contain very
little in the way of actual soil. It is too heavy and not free draining
enough to be very suitable for container plantings. They might want to look
into lightening things up a bit with the addition of sand or perlite.

btw, I'd also contend that most primulas prefer soils in the pH range of
5.5 to 6.5 - certainly on the acidic side. Generally, plants which orginate
as woodland or shade plants and those preferring moist conditions also tend
to prefer soils on the acidic side.

pam - gardengal