Old 10-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] Do Maples Need The Dark?

I have some Japanese maples I have to bring in at night (for security
reasons). I have several strong spotlight growlights I put them under for
several hours at night. I was wondering if there's a problem with leaving the
grow lights on them all night.

I wouldn't do it. Some annuals are grown with 24 hours of light, but most
plants need at least some sleep. There are certain hormones that are rearranged
in the dark. I trust you are giving them a solidly cold dormant period during
the winter.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."