Old 11-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Brian

Default Furze pigs

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Gil2" contains these words:
(posting order restored)

I've never seen pricklypigs in my Strood garden (nor any evidence that

they
have passed through) - I'm seriously considering kidnapping one or two

from
Ramsgate to assist me with reducing the slug/snail population here ;-)

Remember the Scottish Island experience. Relocate hedgehogs at your

peril.

IIRC There were no hedgehog predators on Uist, which is why the hogs
multiplied so fast. On Arran, where there are no foxes but plenty of
badgers, the hedgehog population is kept within normal bounds. The
mainland has plenty of hedgehog predators. And a lot more traffic.

Incidentally, on the radio the other day I heard approved garden homes
on the mainland are being sought for the next wave of island-hedgehog
refugees, unfortunately I wasn't listening to where you could apply..St
Tiggywinkles might know.

Janet.

I seldom see them but any warm evening they can be heard grunting and

snuffling in the hedges. "Hogs in the hedge"~~ took me ages to understand
their name.
At least once a week[frequently in season] my B/W Border Collie [
Poppy-Two syllabels!] brings one in and plonks it on my feet~~but only when
I've no shoes on!!. Neither comes to any harm but I have to get stout gloves
to take it out again. Poppy wont~~and how her mouth can stand the spines~~I
know not.
There was a list published recently of the different local names~ there
were well over thirty I believe.
As a matter of caution all Hedgehogs are home to litteraly thousands of
fleas. They cannot live on us but spend some time biting to try before
giving up!!
Best Wishes Brian 'flayb' to respond.