Old 11-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Ann

Default How to keep raccoons away

On Mon, 10 May 2004 16:56:11 +0000, Ignoramus15189 wrote:

I have enough critters to take care of (a 3 yo kid and 2 chickens and a
fishtank). A dog to keep the 'coons away is a hassle, and, I cannot have
a dog live inside the house due to allergy.

OK.

I am sure I can come up with a safe release procedure, such as, I would
be in the bed of the truck, and release the raccoon from a lowered trap,
or whatever.

I relocated som opossums and it went fine. Placed the trap so when I
opened it, the critter was facing toward some brushy cover.

I would release them in a forest preserve.

Unless you're sure it isn't prohibited, be stealthy about it.

About an electric fence ... Assuming yours are standard raccoons, they'll
raid the garden at night, so it wouldn't be on during the day. I wouldn't
put one outside the chain link in an urban area in any event, but it
should be possible to attach one to the top with some kind of angle
brackets (pointed in). The raccoons would get zapped on the nose when they
come over the top of the chain link.