Old 11-05-2004, 02:15 AM
Robert E A Harvey

Default Flowery dog name needed!

(MallowKat) wrote in message ...
Hello

I'm getting a border collie bitch soon and she needs pretty flowerery name. So
far I've come up with ... Willow, Poppy, Rowan, Holly, Sorrel, Tansy, Daisy,
Fern, Saffron and Jasmine. Can anyone think of any more?

Well, when I was growing up it was the thing to give country dogs a
name with a strong sibilent content - Bess, Sam, that sort of thing.
Although I was advised to do it, no-one ever said why out loud. I
think it was so you could go 'sss' very quietly while out poaching and
get the dog's attention.

There are some good candidates in your list already.

No border collie is a Willow or a Jasmine. Trust me on this. Rowan,
Sorrel, maybe. But not a Poppy! Just look at them.

What about Gorse? It's a traditional name for a dog from both sides
of the border, it's sibilent, and it's horticultural?