Old 11-05-2004, 03:05 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Dark brown leave spots on rhodos

GaryM wrote:

I have 2 rhododendrons with very similar symptoms to what the
original poster described. I posted some pics here.

You have a whole host of problems. I would guess that the plants are
stressed. If they were doing better they would be more resistant to
these problems. Some of the problems a

Pestalotia leaf spot
Wind and cold damage
Black Vine Weevil and/or Strawberry Root Weevil
Rhododendron gall midge

I wouldn't worry too much about the individual problems, but would worry
more about the general health of the plants. They need good drainage. A
wet root zone is a real killer. The need good acidic soil. They are
sodium sensative, so salt will set them way back. They like a spring
application of a good rhody fertilizer like Holytone. Residual
herbicides or lawn fertilizer will set them back.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman