Old 11-05-2004, 03:09 AM
Red

Default Helping Geraniums survive the winter

I don't agree, if the plants are kept in a relatively dry area preferably
with some air circulation then there should be no problem. I suggest that
Noman do a test this fall and report the results next spring. What's the
worst thing that can happen, the plants die of mold etc as you suggest or
the freeze to death outside. Seems like a no brainier to me. Or just go
down to HD in the spring and buy some new ones. Who wants to baby sit a
bunch of slips and cuttings over the winter? Not me.

"Texensis" wrote in message

"Noman" wrote in message
| Yes, I know it's Spring, but I heard something the other day
that I've
| never heard before. I was told that you can take geraniums out of
their pots
| or planters, shake the dirt off until you get to the bare roots,
then hang
| them in the garage over the Winter. Then replant the following
Spring.

| I ask this because I have 8 geraniums bought at Marbridge Farms that
I'd
| like to keep from one year to the next. They are in immovable
planters which
| are part of my deck's railings. Has anyone heard of this before?
Does it
| work? I had one geranium survive the freezes over the winter and
it's going
| to be massive this year. Because of my schedule it's not practical
for me to
| cover them when freezing temps approach.
|
| Thanks.

I've seen it done, hung upside down in paper bags, but it's kind of
tough around here, with all the mold spores, etc. -- better to start
slips or to move your geraniums to pots that can be carried indoors
and out again on warmer, sunnier days.