Old 11-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Rachel

Default Carptenter Bees

"Barbara Yanus" wrote in message
news
I believe that I posted something in here last year about these critters,
and I was told not to worry about them?
I have a log house . . .

If you live in an all-wood house such as a log house, cedar house or one
with wood siding (though paint on it will deter them), they are not
harmless. Search /"carpenter bees" damage wood houses/ and there are tons of
references like this one:

Typically, carpenter bees do not cause serious structural damage to wood
unless large numbers of bees are allowed to drill many tunnels over
successive years. The bees often eliminate their wastes before entering the
tunnel. Yellowish-brown staining from voided fecal matter may be visible on
the wood beneath the hole. Woodpeckers may damage infested wood in search of
bee larvae in the tunnels. In the case of thin wood, such as siding, this
damage can be severe. Holes on exposed surfaces may lead to damage by
wood-decaying fungi or attack by other insects, such as carpenter ants.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/no...n/carp-bee.htm

And, yes, if you just plug the holes they'll come drill more of them.