Old 11-05-2004, 06:02 AM
jacksf

Default Turning Under Redwood Bark Chips

Last year I planted an Asian garden in my front yard, actually did just
1/2 the yard. Heavy clay soil, rototilled about 8" of amend into the
soil, then went down 12" and re-tilled it again. The 1/2 I planted came
out excellent, even put in a little pond with a bridge over it.

After I finished all the planting I spread large redwood bark chips to
keep down the weeds and conserve water/prevent runoff but the front
part, that I didn't plant, I used small bark chips as weed control. It
worked fine.

Its now time to start on this years planting and was wondering if I
could just turn under the redwood chips or do I have to rake them off
and bag 'em up for use end of season. The local people I have talked to
around here (Northern Calif) don't seem to know so I thought I would
toss it out here.

Thanks

Jack