Old 11-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Cinnamon

Default New Garden from Lawn

(simy1) wrote in message . com...
"SugarChile" wrote in message ...
The cicadas will love your young vegetation, so you may want to
protect with an insect cover or wait to plant the lettuce until
august.

As I understand it, periodic cicadas feed almost exclusively on young tree
branches and twigs. I don't think your lettuce is as risk from them,
although slugs and earwigs may end up being your nemesis.

sorry to double.

http://www.msj.edu/cicada/

gives the map coverage of cicada Brood X emergence (now only days
away). Looks like Ann Arbor is at the very edge of the range.

Interesting you posted that site SugarChile, it is a college in the
part of Cincinnati I grew up in, Delhi Township.

In 1987, the last go around, we had them BAD. Couldn't even open the
car windows. I live in Cincinnati, on the west side of Cincinnati, and
we are expected to get hit the hardest on this side of town.

For those of you unfamiliar with them, an interesting fact about them
is that if you dig one up when they are not brooding there is a P on
their wings... if you look at one when they are, you will see a W.
It's weird but true. The old folks say it stands for war and peace...
I dunno, but it's an odd thing.

We're already seeing some and they expect them to really start
sometime this week. I can't wait to MOVE IN IT! Hopefully the current
homeowners will have netted the shrubs! I never thought about that
until now!