Old 11-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Martin Brown

Default bokashi - A Japanese composting method. (in May RHS mag)

In message , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Martin Brown
writes
In message , Kay Easton

I think the issue it really when you add small amounts of grass at a
time - then it goes anaerobic, smelly, all horrible and slimy..

That's a good point. You mean in small amounts there isn't enough bulk
to generate the really high temperatures, so you get layers of slime if
the grass is too thick, but in huge quantities enough heat is generated
to break it down nicely? That would explain why some urglers report as
you do that they have no problem with grass clippings whereas I and some
others find ourselves with inch thick compressed grass slime.

A couple of related points. A neighbour who has much more grass (~2
acres) also has problems with his grass not composting well - so there
may well be an ideal amount.

I also try to make sure that the grass put on the compost heap is nicely
fluffed up, not too dry (or wet) and not in any way compressed or
compacted. It slumps down naturally after a couple of days.

I had some large scrap cardboard boxes 6" deep so I tried one on top of
the heap and the top surface stayed moist and got hot too. This may be
an alternative for folk averse to turning the heap - to add a simple
cardboard box lid!

Regards,
--
Martin Brown