Old 11-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Katra

Default tomato leaves eaten....

In article
,
"SugarChile" wrote:

Have you tried Bt for the hornworms?

I wasn't trying to be judgmental, and I'm glad you didn't take it that way.
We all have to make decisions about what level of pesticide use we are
comfortable with....I was just hoping to encourage people would educate
themselves before automatically reaching for the spray. It sounds like you
are working to create a balanced ecosystem and I applaud you for it.

I'm even putting predators inside my new greenhouse. ;-)
Anyone squishes a spider in my yard gets yelled at!!!

Gourd birdhouses encourage house wrens and they pretty much clean up the
yard of bugs when they have babies, but unfortunately, they also eat
spiders. Most of my spiders are nocturnal so they still do ok.

Tell me more about Bt for hornworms???
I'm really not well educated on that product.

Personally, I use dormant oil, "Sluggo" for slugs,

Try the beer. Besides, it's somewhat satisfying to see a pan of drowned
slugs. G

Bt for serious
caterpillar infestations (such as fall webworms), insecticidal soap, and
that's it. I handpick some pests, and learn to live with others. I
encourage beneficial predators as much as possible, and try to follow good
cultural practices to avoid the need for fungicides. I don't grow things,
such as roses, that need continual fussing over.

I also gave up on roses except for climbing blazes. Those do ok with no
fuss. I just had too many roses die. sigh

Soap spray is great, but my ladybird beetle population is high enough
now to pretty much take care of apids, mealy bugs and scale. You should
have seen the larvae in the asparagus bed last year! There were ladybird
pupae all over the ferns. It was neat. :-)

I've taken care of my dill pests (swallowtail butterfly larvae) by
planting extra parsley and fennel to place them on. They can eat all of
that that they want.

Aside from the real and potential harmful effects of pesticides/herbicides,
I just hate suiting up to use them....and I'm willing to bet that many
homeowners and gardeners skip the warnings about goggles, protective
clothing and respirators.

Cheers,
Sue

Thanks!