Old 11-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Sacha

Default Lelandi problem (sort of!)

Philip11/5/04 9:08

(Robbie) wrote in message
. com...
Wonder if anyone can help me here.

My next door neighbour moved in last year after the previous neighbour
was evicted for various tenancy breaches. Just before the previous
neighbour left, they planted what I can only imagine to be a leylandi
shrub. That was last July, and now the shrub / tree is over 8 foot
tall. Whilst the neighbour is fine, he doesn't want to cut the shrub
(he reckons it looks spectacular!) and it looks like by the end of
this summer it will be dwarfing our 4 foot fence by some considerable
height!

snip

You might want to post this to uk.legal, or even just do a search on
uk.legal because like the Elvis Costello sang some years ago "theres
no such thing as an original sin".

From memory I think you are allowed to cut off branches which
over-hang your property, but you must be prepared to give them to your
neighbour as they are his.

I thought legislation had recently been brought in to restrict such high
growing trees. Leylandii can go to 100' tall and heaven only knows what
width. They should never be planted in small gardens, or even medium sized
gardens, unless the owner plans to severely restrict their growth.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)