Old 11-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Lelandi problem (sort of!)

Sacha wrote in
. uk:

(Robbie) wrote in message
. com...

they planted what I can only imagine to be
a leylandi shrub. That was last July, and now the shrub / tree is
over 8 foot tall. Whilst the neighbour is fine, he doesn't want to
cut the shrub (he reckons it looks spectacular!) and it looks like
by the end of this summer it will be dwarfing our 4 foot fence by
some considerable height!

I thought legislation had recently been brought in to restrict such
high growing trees. Leylandii can go to 100' tall and heaven only
knows what width. They should never be planted in small gardens, or
even medium sized gardens, unless the owner plans to severely restrict
their growth.

I think the legislation is on hedges, not individual trees.

My neighbours' neighbours (if you see what I mean) have 3 very large
ones, (and a hedge too!). The hedge is kept down to a reasonable
height, but the three big trees cut out a lot of light from the
surrounding gardens (luckily not mine!)

The owners are now moving, and the one question everyone wants to ask
the new owners is 'Please, please, can we get rid of those trees?'

Assuming Robbie's planning to stay in his house long-term, I think he
might want to take his new neighbour out for a drink, then take him to a
garden centre and buy him something else as a replacement, and help him
take down the old tree (to be sure it happens!).

Well worth the money & time to have a garden not permanently shaded by
the Tree of Doom.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill