Old 11-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Phisherman

Default Turning compost pile a bit difficult

On 11 May 2004 13:50:39 GMT, Ignoramus27199
wrote:

I have a compost pile, which is comprised of chicken manure, old
leaves (which I use as litter in the chicken coop, so they are well
mixed with manure), and some grass clippings. All good so far. My
problem is that most compost pile information websites recommend
turning over compost, and it is quite difficult as it is heavy and
stuck together. Is turning over really essential?

No. But, turning does help speed the process and makes your compost
more uniform. You are very fortunate to have a supply of chicken
manure.