Old 11-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Ignoramus27199

Default Turning compost pile a bit difficult

In article , Phisherman wrote:
On 11 May 2004 13:50:39 GMT, Ignoramus27199
wrote:

I have a compost pile, which is comprised of chicken manure, old
leaves (which I use as litter in the chicken coop, so they are well
mixed with manure), and some grass clippings. All good so far. My
problem is that most compost pile information websites recommend
turning over compost, and it is quite difficult as it is heavy and
stuck together. Is turning over really essential?

No. But, turning does help speed the process and makes your compost
more uniform. You are very fortunate to have a supply of chicken
manure.

thanks

See my chicken at

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/son/

They live in a 34 or so cubic feet area in my shed, at shoulder level.

We feed them boiled and mashed kitchen leftovers, mostly. Also, one
Russian deli gives us various unused meat cuts for free, which I grind
in a meat grinder and add to the mashed chicken food.

They produce probably about 1.5-2 lbs of manure per day.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}"; main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."